tis the life

This is the life of a random girl in a random place. At what point does life turn from random to significant? Do people ever really notice what's around them?

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Salsa!

Though I've paid membership to the UVIC ballroom dance club all year long, today was only the second time I was able to make it there. That's what they get for having it on a sunday...well, actually, they get my money either way so what does it matter to them?

Beginner Salsa was followed by intermediate Rueda salsa. Though I've never taken formal lessons, I quite like salsa. Most of the guys don't know how to dance, which is all right, but not quite as much fun. There are a few though, that are really good and that's when dancing becomes really fun! To get lost in the beat of the music, swinging around your partner, arms entwined and suddenly free again. I love the synchronicity, the dance, the passion (though you do really need to know your partner to evoke that passion in the dance...for that I really miss Shane :-). Also, I think I like dance because I'm good at it. I'm not good at too many athletic things, so it's nice to have something that I excell at, to be able to perform infront of others. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some dancers here, and start going to the salsa and merengue clubs downtown.

The ballroom lessons were not nearly as exciting. One hour of beginner standard, which in a very unlucky draw turned out to be foxtrot. And not even international forxtrot...but good old american social foxtrot. Could there be a more boring dance? There was only 1 person who knew how to dance...and that was awesome, cause it made the dance at least a bit better. At least then you can work on timing, frame, swing, feet positions, etc. Otherwise you're just walking along, singing a song (note- singing often distracts from the dance attempts...avoid unless doing the basic only). The dance level in Victoria is not nearly as good as Edmonton, but it's the best I have right now I guess. Hopefully they'll get a bronze class next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home