tis the life

This is the life of a random girl in a random place. At what point does life turn from random to significant? Do people ever really notice what's around them?

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Sausage fest...literally

I had a potluck yesterday night, with an oktoberfest theme. We ended up with some interesting food, including german sausages. I realized that I don't really like german food...probably along with the dutch and the scandinavian food. It's hearty food, somewhat tasty and certainly filling, but just not tantelizing enough. Give me a thai stirfry anyday!

Sometimes it seems like it's all girls around, but last night we had six guys and me. Got me thinking about the dynamics of groups and what is required for a 'sucessful' group. If it's all girls, it usually turns into some sort of a gossip fest, whether bitter or happy or a bit of both. I don't know what it's like with all guys, but with one girl and a whole lot of guys, things seemed all right to me. I think guys are a lot more random, and certainly don't gossip as much. Would be some interesting social experiments though (actually these probably exist), interpreting the dynamic in various situations. Girl talk only happens if its all girls, or if any guys present are included as one of the girls (my roomate for example). When it's a mix between both, in this group of people anyway, the guys seem to sit back and leave the girls to dictate the situation. I'm not sure where I fit into it all. I'm usually quiet, an observer more than anything else. I'm never the one telling lots of stories or jokes, but give me a good issue to debate and I can talk all night. Sometimes I wish that I could contribute to converstations more, but I just don't know how to do it. But then again, if you have the right people, those awkward moments don't really happen. I think I need a sociologist to figure it all out for me!

4 Comments:

  • At November 29, 2005 at 7:51:00 a.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll get my friend, who is a Sociology Masters student to look into it for you...

    The other thing that interests me about group dynamics is the evolution of conversations. Often times, at the end of a night, I will try to track how the conversation progressed and I am amazed by the leaps and bounds that they take. At the time, the progression seems natural, but looking at it after some of the leaps make little sense. But, its still interesting to do.

     
  • At December 6, 2005 at 7:04:00 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know I'm always happier with a pretty girl around ;) As for dynamics... it depends on the group. I don't really go out and get drunk so I wouldn't know about that part of the boys night out.

    Usually male bonding is done through competitive means... sports for one, poker nights, video game marathon... usually something with a specific goal and once that is done the night is over. At least that's what I've found.

    Deep conversations do happen... but not in big groups... more like one on ones or maybe at most groups of like 3 guys.

    With girls in the picture, most guys are pretty happy to let the girl decide what to do... not sure if it's apathy or a will to please. Of course if it's something we really don't want to do... we'll usually pipe up ... unless we have the hots for the girl... then we're pretty much slaves...

    Hope that helps... I'm gonna try to leave a comment on every entry on this page! =)

     
  • At December 6, 2005 at 7:06:00 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah... I definitely remembered how you like to debate... we've had a few in our time ;)

     
  • At December 6, 2005 at 7:10:00 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yeah... xyURL=/jspellhtml/JSpell.jsp.jsp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home