across the straight...the world is certainly different
I've recently visited/worked in a small NW US town, almost as northwest as you can get without being in Alaska or Hawaii. It's 1 hour from another small town and this is what I found (note. apologies to the two students residing in this country, one who married an american. And of course, apologies to S for any observations you may think inappropriate. I don't know what Orono is like, but I hope its not like this).
-2 drive-through expresso stations
-mexicans everywhere
-larger plates
-pancakes as big as my plate
-average weight of oh, 250 or so
-they don't know what a shiraz is
-a take-away lunch consists of a sandwich and an apple, accompanied by 2 coookies, a chocolate bar and chips
-everyone hunts or fishes
-the trucks are big and the cars absent
-they don't have creeks, but they do have this strange thing called a 'crik'
-definitely an accent
-True Value hardware advertises Guns and Ammo
Sometimes I think that I'm happy to live in the country that I do
-2 drive-through expresso stations
-mexicans everywhere
-larger plates
-pancakes as big as my plate
-average weight of oh, 250 or so
-they don't know what a shiraz is
-a take-away lunch consists of a sandwich and an apple, accompanied by 2 coookies, a chocolate bar and chips
-everyone hunts or fishes
-the trucks are big and the cars absent
-they don't have creeks, but they do have this strange thing called a 'crik'
-definitely an accent
-True Value hardware advertises Guns and Ammo
Sometimes I think that I'm happy to live in the country that I do

1 Comments:
At December 29, 2006 at 6:54:00 a.m. PST,
Anonymous said…
Weeee, a guns and ammo sale. Safeway has one of those every other week in Canada. What are you talking about?
Post a Comment
<< Home