tis the life

This is the life of a random girl in a random place. At what point does life turn from random to significant? Do people ever really notice what's around them?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Backpacking Adventure

First weekend back and it was time for an ODC trip. Not planned by me, so even better I thought. However, I never really trust someone when they say they 'sort of' know where we're going. Up a logging road to the top of a ridge - sounds simple enough, but logging roads cross-cut the island like seismic lines up north. They're everywhere and you can guarantee that on every map at least 30 new ones have cropped up. Moral of the story - hiking through wet snowy forest with packs on makes for a great adventure but a rather fruitless one. But we did manage to find about 100 metres of snow to play with our snowshoes in!
After that adventure, we went back down to the coast and stayed in a small emergency cabin along the Juan De Fuca trail. I loved being on the coast, camping by the beach and hearing the waves. It's just so beautiful to be in the wilderness! Especially having a fire at nighttime under the cover of a tarp and seeing the reflection of the moon in the waves. Perhaps I should abandon graduate studies or just become a perpetual UVic student for the rest of my life.....



2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home