tis the life

This is the life of a random girl in a random place. At what point does life turn from random to significant? Do people ever really notice what's around them?

Thursday, January 12, 2006

How do you write?

How do you write? I'm not talking left or right - that's been a debate for years where left is obviously abnormal. But whether left or right-handed, how do you hold your pen? With two fingers and a thumb? With three fingers and a thumb? Or how about your entire fist? Technically there's not a 'correct' way, but have you ever thought about it? We have - in fact we've had a discussion that lasted almost an hour - It's tied at the moment, two for fist and two for two fingers, with each side having a left hander and a right hander. Much debate ensued, much practice pen holding and writing as well. Then there's also the matter of handwriting and printing, capital letters or small letters. What subtle (or not so subtle) force has lead each of us to write the way we do? Evil school teacher? Need to follow the masses? Or the need to be different? Did you copy someone cause you thought it was cool? Oh, and an interesting fact - my cousin Kim writes exactly like my mother. Not sure if she knew that but now she will - is there a hereditary link that I'm not considering?

Next time you pick up that pen or pencil - think about the influences that shape your life and get back to me.....

5 Comments:

  • At January 13, 2006 at 4:34:00 a.m. PST, Blogger Christopher Robin said…

    Interesting. Well count me in for one more vote for the two fingers side of things (and I'm right handed if that matters). I don't see how you could even write properly with any more fingers involved, but then again it's all a matter of conditioning.

    Now just to stir the pot a bit more, did anyone think to correlate how you hold your pen to how you hold your fork? I can say that I hold both the same way (even chopsticks too).

     
  • At January 13, 2006 at 7:04:00 a.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Write exactly like you mom? I indeed never knew that. Is it my writing that's the same in cursive? Incidentally, I am right handed and of the 2 finger group. And in response to Chris, I do hold my fork the same way.
    As for how I write, I did an entire year of one U of A class all in printed capitals, just because I felt like it and wanted to see how it would go. Now I mostly alternate between printing and cursive, or a quasi combination. It's probably just what's fastest and still looks goo.d

     
  • At January 13, 2006 at 7:17:00 a.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Two fingers and a thumb for me. I wrote with a fist until I was 7 though. My teacher made me put a triangle on my pencil so I would hold it properly but I would take it off when he wasn't looking. Writing 'properly' was supposed to make my printing neater. Ha! I showed them. I hold the pen the correct way but now, but my printing/writing still sucks.

     
  • At January 20, 2006 at 10:51:00 a.m. PST, Blogger Lana said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At January 20, 2006 at 10:53:00 a.m. PST, Blogger Lana said…

    My dad used to say that writing was a form of art (so was holding chopsticks for that matter). And in both I guess I've failed in artistic style :( Not only do I press too hard (two fingers and thumb in a deathly grip) and manage to smudge things. He would groan at the dinner table when I used chopsticks! And the reminder: if we were in China my grandparents would surely have switched me until I got it right... hm... but I digress.

    There must an ergonomic way...

    I remember those funny rubber triangle things for pencils and pens too... but I remember not using them :D

    My signature looks a lot like my sister's. I'm sure I copied some of her flair along the way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home