Happy heart day
Happy commercial holiday y'all! Now I don't much care for Valentines day one way or another. It's just another day, albeit one highly commercialized. However, I don't understand why so many people are bitter and against the day - or any other commercialized holiday for that matter. Do you rebel against it simply because it's popular and you don't want to be part of the crowd? I know several people who think like this, though they may not admit that's why.
Or are you against it because it's no longer a day to tell someone special you love them - instead it's an all inclusive holiday where you're supposed to love everyone equally and give valentines to all? That's the perspective I got from a newspaper article saying that we were confusing kids by making them give valentines to the people they didn't like. I understand that people may not want to do something because its commercial and overrated - yes, everyone is trying to get your money. But at the same time, sometimes people do need a reminder that they haven't told someone how much they care.
Flowers, chocolates, romantic getaways - the thought counts more than the actual object and that's really what girls care about. Whether it be on Valentines day, or any other day - it's simply a nice gesture. The best present I've ever gotten was two roses made out of rocks, and I got it on Valentines day many years ago. I was simply astonished, and very impressed - flowers and rocks all in one! While it still sits on my shelf, it's not the object as much as the thought behind it - so personal and well thought out.
I have multiple friends that have taken a new approach to the day, or at least a throwback to childhood - making it a day to tell friends that they are appreciated, and expessing happiness with the world around them. Friendships, whether or not they have relationship status, are what truely matters. So happy valentines day to everyone out there. I'm not afraid to say it, even though several of my close friends are opposed to commercialism and will no doubt be judging me because of that statement. I heart you and I hope everyone has an awesome day, awesome month, and awesome year....and call me if I haven't talked to you in a while!
Or are you against it because it's no longer a day to tell someone special you love them - instead it's an all inclusive holiday where you're supposed to love everyone equally and give valentines to all? That's the perspective I got from a newspaper article saying that we were confusing kids by making them give valentines to the people they didn't like. I understand that people may not want to do something because its commercial and overrated - yes, everyone is trying to get your money. But at the same time, sometimes people do need a reminder that they haven't told someone how much they care.
Flowers, chocolates, romantic getaways - the thought counts more than the actual object and that's really what girls care about. Whether it be on Valentines day, or any other day - it's simply a nice gesture. The best present I've ever gotten was two roses made out of rocks, and I got it on Valentines day many years ago. I was simply astonished, and very impressed - flowers and rocks all in one! While it still sits on my shelf, it's not the object as much as the thought behind it - so personal and well thought out.
I have multiple friends that have taken a new approach to the day, or at least a throwback to childhood - making it a day to tell friends that they are appreciated, and expessing happiness with the world around them. Friendships, whether or not they have relationship status, are what truely matters. So happy valentines day to everyone out there. I'm not afraid to say it, even though several of my close friends are opposed to commercialism and will no doubt be judging me because of that statement. I heart you and I hope everyone has an awesome day, awesome month, and awesome year....and call me if I haven't talked to you in a while!

4 Comments:
At February 15, 2006 at 7:11:00 a.m. PST,
Elizabeth said…
Happy Valentine's Day, doll. I'm going to have to pass on calling you (damn 60 cents a minute to Canada!), but I do miss you, and think about you. Hope you have a wonderful spring! What are you doing this summer? I may well be living in Campbell River, so maybe we can meet up?
At February 15, 2006 at 7:11:00 a.m. PST,
Elizabeth said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
At February 15, 2006 at 9:23:00 a.m. PST,
Lana said…
Happy Belated Valentine's Michelle - it's good to have a voice to express how not all "singletons" are bitter and jaded. Just because I work with a whole bunch of divorced people...
I spent my day with some of my good friends - reminding each other that we do care. I *heart* you too :)
At February 15, 2006 at 11:21:00 a.m. PST,
Anonymous said…
Hey, thanks for the Valentine's card. It is the thought that counts. Honestly, V-day has sucked for me in the past when I was dating someone, and had more fun this year at work seeming to laugh all day than I ever did. And the Valentine's socks and underwear from my mom were the best present!
Post a Comment
<< Home